Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Political Correctness and the holidays


A talk show personality remarked that he had received invitations to two events at the Massachusetts State House by Governor Patrick (written by Patrick’s staff and probably vetted by political consultants).  One was an invitation to the lighting of the “holiday tree.”  It was in the papers that they are calling it the holiday tree rather than Christmas tree because they want to be inclusive of all faiths.  Very nice sentiment.

But then the second invitation came.  It was to the lighting of the Hanukah Menorah.  For some reason, the people who decided the Christmas Tree should be called the “holiday tree” didn’t think the Hanukah Menorah should be renamed the “holiday menorah” to have that same inclusive sentiment.

My guess is that there were a few things that led to this decision.
  1. The staff was probably more aware when naming the Christmas Tree, but didn’t think much about it when naming the Hanukah Menorah.
  2. No one is going to think that the Patrick administration is promoting government preference of Judaism, since he isn’t Jewish.  But since he (and the majority of Massachusetts citizens) are Christian that is a more likely perception.
  3. Other government trees (national, state, and local) have been called holiday trees.  But I am not sure how many menorahs there are that have been called holiday menorahs. 
The reason I bring it up is that I hate the hypersensitivity to political correctness.  Most years, Hanukah comes before Christmas.  So on Hanukah I wish my Jewish friends a “Happy Hanukah” and on Christmas I wish my Christian friends a “Merry Christmas.”  If I happen to know they celebrate something else (Kwanzaa, Tet, Eid el Fitr, or whatever other holidays come along at other times), I will wish them a happy that too.  And if on Christmas someone who doesn’t know me wishes me a “Merry Christmas” I appreciate the sentiment.  When I pass strangers on the street on Christmas, I wish them a “Merry Christmas.”  I figure odds are that it is the right choice, and someone else shouldn’t get offended anyway. 

I understand why government agencies have to be extra careful.  I believe in a strong separation of church and state both in action and in perception.  But everyone else should just take a Valium.  Do what makes you and others happy.  Appreciate to positive sentiments of holidays, even when they are not yours.  

This morning a different radio host said that they should call it the "____ tree" and let everyone fill in their own modifier when they look at/think about the tree.  I like that idea :-D.

No comments: