Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Science and the Supernatural


Yesterday’s second hour of On Point was an interview with a theoretical physicist who was talking about the nature of the universe and existence.  As usual with these kinds of interviews, someone had to call in and ask if her research would eventually prove or disprove the existence of G-d or other supernatural phenomena usually considered in the realm of religion.  I hate when they mix these two things up.

I like Stephen Hawking’s view on the subject, which I think I have blogged about before but will add a few additional thoughts.  He says that science can never answer these questions.  By definition, the supernatural is made up of whatever we believe to be true but cannot prove with science.  So as soon as we prove or disprove it with science, it ceases to be supernatural in the first place.

The reason I like this perspective is what it means for faith.  There is some comfort and reliability that we get from having science prove and disprove things.  Otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to design technology, medicine, and all of the other perks of civilization.  But there is also some comfort and strength that we gain from having pure faith in something, the kind that is based on zero physical or logical evidence.  Anyone who hasn’t experienced this kind of faith may not know what I am talking about, but it is a really powerful feeling and can be used for an incredible variety of life enrichment and betterment goals. 

Not only would a scientific proof or disproof of a supernatural phenomenon remove it from the realm of the supernatural, it would also eliminate it from the realm of faith.  We might gain some knowledge that gives us more of the technology perks, but we would lose the spiritual perks we get from faith.  I wouldn’t want to make this sacrifice even if I could.  I would rather not have existential physicists proving or disproving supernatural phenomena.  I get a lot of benefit from my unscientific faith. There are plenty of other good things for physicists to research.

Of course, I am not talking about organized religion and the associated bureaucracy.  Telling me to believe something because some text or prophet says so is not faith either.  I would be relying on their knowledge in the same way that I am relying on the chemist’s knowledge of how to distill crude oil into gasoline.  These might be based on trust, but not pure faith.  Pure faith is when you believe in something because you BELIEVE in it.  

No comments: